Saturday, June 12, 2004

You say you want a revolution...

Well, for those of you who live here in “The True North Strong and Free”, there is an election coming up in about two weeks time. It’s no secret that I have reservations about people who don’t vote. Let me explain why. For those of you who don’t know, I’m Canadian. Always have been. Always will be. That being said, my ethnic background is Chinese. Every get asked the “What nationality are you?” question? I think everyone has been asked that some time in their life. My answer is this: Canadian-Chinese. (This answer tends to confuse most people. They say things like “Uhhh, don’t you mean Chinese-Canadian”. No, if I meant Chinese-Canadian, I would have said that. Jackass! That’s right. Canadian first! Chinese second.) That’s right junior detectives, I’m a hyphenated Canadian. But, like I said, I’m Canadian first. Still, I’m very proud of my Chinese heritage. It’s part of my identity. It’s not like I can hide it or anything. And it’s not like I want to or ever would. Plus, whitey needs an adversary. Might as well be me.

Moving along, I am proud of the trials and tribulations that my Chinese forefathers had to endure in order for me to call myself Canadian…I’m sorry…I was a history major folks...I studied a lot of Chinese-Canadian history…I won’t drone on too much about all of this, needless to say that, up until 1947, we Chinese in Canada were second-class citizens. Stripped of our right to vote. Denied the basic rights that all non-coloured Canadians were guaranteed. So, my “people” have only had the vote for some fifty plus years now. Maybe the novelty of voting hasn’t worn off yet.

In any event, I am proudly Canadian. And as part of that, I like to participate in the system of democracy that, however farcical or superficial it may seem, was previously denied to my Grandfather’s generation; a generation of Chinese who fought and died for a country who did not recognize them as citizens. That’s why I vote junior detectives. Not only do am I participating in an “open” and “just” system of governance, that is denied to many people the world over, but in doing so, I honour the memory of my Grandfather and his generation, who fought so that I could have a better life.

Also, there is something to be said about bitching about the government and all of the perceived injustices that they cause, when you don’t participate in the system. In other words, if you don’t vote, you really have no right to complain about the government when they do something that offends or upsets you. As the old saying goes, “shit or get off the pot”. You have the power to make a difference. One vote does make a difference. So, junior detectives, I urge you to go out and vote. And if you aren’t registered, do so. Post haste! You say you want a revolution…it starts June 28th. Go vote. Alright…’nuff said. I’m out. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home