Wednesday, June 16, 2004

No Longer Progressive

So, I received a phone call from my local Conservative candidate a few days back. Needless to say, that my phone conversation with them prompted them to send me party literature to guarantee my support. Now, since I've been able to vote in Federal elections, I've always voted PC. But, with the merger of the Alliance and the PC, my party has changed. This what I tried to explain to the nice campaign lady on the phone the other day.

In any event, I finally went to the Conservative website, to check out where they stand on the issues, and what issues they feel are important to Canadians. I also took the time to read their platform. It's nice to know that the new Conservative party is founded upon Canadian values and morals...and I can say this with the utmost conviction, because all they seemed to do with their party platform, was to paraphrase most of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms!?

I think what the Conservative Party fails to recognize, is that they don't actually have to be in power to guarantee Canadians those rights and freedoms. Cause they're in the Charter!!! I already have them! WTF?! That's just lazy...needless to say, currently I'm unimpressed and this "silliness", makes me less inclined to vote for the party. In fact, your party doesn't actually offer me anything that I don't actually already have, minus the rhetoric and apparent hatemongering, so why should I vote for you at all?! Maybe I've over simplified things. Who knows? I mean they did drop the word "progressive" from their party name. What do you expect right?

I guess, what I do know is that I am not going to "...make a tax deductible contribution..." of $485 to the Conservative party. I also, found this extremely odd, that the first denomination for making a "tax deductible contribution", was the largest amount ($485) not the smallest amount (Other$). WTF!? Horse before the cart, ladies and gentlemen. How can you expect that anyone's first inclination would be to contribute the maximum amount allowable and not the smallest? Obviously, no longer progressive. Anyways, I think for now, I'll stay in that ominous category of "undecided". Maybe, I'll vote for the Marxist-Leninist guy. Maybe. I'm out. Later.

2 Comments:

At June 18, 2004 at 3:51 p.m., Blogger Karin said...

These new Conservatives frighten me. A country governed by religious nuts? That's starting to sound kind of like... Afghanistan. And the United States. That's not MY Canada, thank you very much and good night.

 
At June 22, 2004 at 7:49 p.m., Blogger Karin said...

Nope. You're nuts, but you're not a religious nut. :) I classify a religious nut as someone who starts disobeying certain commandments or changing them so they read something like this... "Thou shalt not kill, unless they've got a different religion, skin colour or piss me off."

Also, if someone tries to force feed their religion down my throat, especially by threatening me with "And you're going to go to hell when you die" or calling me an evil Satanic witch or some varient, that qualifies them for religious nut-dom.

So far, you haven't done any of that. I'm actually very comfortable with people who follow mainstream religion, especially if they actually follow it the way they're supposed to. I could get very far into this but I'm not going to here. :) We'll talk another time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home